Berni Searle has work on Distance and Desire: Encounters with the African Archive at the Walther Collection in Ulm, Germany (8 June through to 2015); and on Earth Matters: Land as Material and Metaphor in the Arts of Africa at the Smithsonian National Museum for African Art (22 April - 5 January).
Exhibitions / Works
- Shimmer (Cape Town, 26 May - 23 July 2011)
- Recent Work (Cape Town, 4 September - 11 October 2008)
- Crush (Cape Town, 21 September - 21 October 2006)
- About to forget (Cape Town, 4 May - 4 June 2005)
- Vapour (Cape Town, 18 February - 27 March 2004)
- Interlaced (2011)
- Recent Work 2007/8 (2008)
- Approach (2006)
- About to forget (2005)
- Vapour (2004)
- Standard Bank Young Artist 2003 (2003)
Berni Searle was born in Cape Town in 1964 where she now lives and works. She graduated with a BAFA from the University of Cape Town in 1987 and completed her MAFA in 1995, also at UCT. Her survey show, Interlaced, showed at De Hallen in Bruges, Belgium; Frac Lorraine in Metz, France; and the Museum voor Moderne Kunst Arnhem, the Netherlands, in 2011. Recent group exhibitions include Pictures by Women: A history of modern photography at the Museum of Modern Art, New York (2011); Variations at the Mendel Art Gallery, Saskatchewan, Canada (2011); Space, Ritual, Absence: Liminality in South African visual art at the FADA Gallery, University of Johannesburg (2011); and Figures and Fictions: Contemporary South African Photography at the V&A Museum in London (2011).
Also see www.bernisearle.com